HIV and STI Testing
We are happy to announce that we are now providing FREE anonymous rapid HIV self-testing in our office.
Drop-in hours are on Wednesdays between 2pm & 6 pm at our main site in Kitchener: 5-1770 King Street East.
Walk-ins welcome, no appointment needed!
Click the link below to book an appointment online. If you would like to have your test facilitated by someone in a specific program, choose from the appropriate program.
To book by phone, call us at 519-570-3687 or text/call 519-635-2437 during business hours. At ACCKWA one of our trained staff members can walk you through the test step-by-step, provide you with support, and answer any questions you might have.
In response to COVID-19, as of March 16 2020, Region of Waterloo Public Health has closed all offsite sexual health clinics until further notice, including ACCKWA’s.
What you need to know:
- Aside from the HIV Self-testing option available through ACCKWA, anonymous HIV and STI testing is not available in Waterloo Region.
- The types of sexual activity you engage in can often dictate the type of testing you should request!
- If you want more information, see CATIE’s HIV Testing Process information page.
HIV testing window period:
- There is a window period before an HIV test is considered conclusive. The window period is 3 weeks to 3 months.
- This is because the test looks for antibodies to HIV (antibodies form in response to an infection), not the virus itself. Antibodies take 3 weeks to 3 months to form.
- If you had an exposure more recently (ex. one week ago) you can still come for a test. The nurse will test you to get a baseline, and will recommend that you come back for another test.
For local (Waterloo Region) additional HIV and STI testing options, please call us at 519-570-3687 or text/call 519-635-2437 during business hours. We are here to help you navigate your sexual health during this challenging time, which does include accompanying you to your family doctor or medical practitioner.
Where can I get tested?
Your Family Doctor
If you have a family doctor that you feel comfortable and safe accessing for sexual health services, they are your best option for STI screening. If you do not have a family doctor or do not feel comfortable and safe accessing their care for any reason, see the options listed below.
Kitchener Walk-in Clinics
Onyx Urgent Care
580 Lancaster Street West, Kitchener
WALK-IN CLINIC HOURS
Mon-Fri: 5pm to 9pm
Sat-Sun: 3pm to 7pm
51 Benton Street, Kitchener
WALK-IN CLINIC HOURS
Mon-Fri: 8am – 6pm
Sat: 9am – 3pm
Call 519-748-5220, ext. 3679
Call 519-884-0710 ext 3146
For more HIV & STI testing locations in Ontario, visit the AIDS & Sexual Health Infoline.