Want to get your hands on your own red scarf while also supporting ACCKWA? They’ll be available for silent auction at our World AIDS Day Vigil, Sunday December 1st at Kitchener City Hall in the Rotunda. You are invited to attend, and we look forward to seeing you there!
ACCKWA’s Red Scarf Project
We are excited to embark on the Red Scarf Project for our 3rd year! The Red Scarf Project, an awareness-raising and stigma-busting initiative in support of people living with HIV in Waterloo Region. We hope to collect red scarves created by service users, volunteers, and community groups, along with their personalized messages expressing what their relationship with HIV and what ACCKWA means to them. These scarves and messages will then be displayed around the region throughout November and December, demonstrating to the community the many different ways HIV can impact someone’s life, regardless of their status.
For the Red Scarf Project, the process is just as important as the end product. We will be bringing people together for “knit-ins” at our offices and in the community to share company and educate participant crafters about HIV in our region. Isolation is a consequence of HIV-related stigma, and we are confident that this project will bring our service users together with members of the community, to connect with new people and learn about the real, lived experiences of people living with HIV.
Our project hopes to collect at least 50 scarves. Once the project is completed in December, some of the scarves will be auctioned off to raise money for our food program, and others will be donated to community members through our partners.
- Donate a scarf, knitting needles or red yarn, or a craft store gift card
- Share the project with your networks
- Visit one of the red scarf displays around the Waterloo Region
- Purchase a scarf during ACCKWA’s online auction (Nov 1-9th), or at the Vigil on Dec 1st
- Invite ACCKWA to do an HIV 101 workshop
Tuesday September 10th and Tuesday October 8th between 6-9pm at ACCKWA’s office we’re hosting a drop-in crafting hangout for anyone who wants to check out our space, meet other ACCKWA volunteers and crafters, and work on their red scarves!
Red Scarf Display locations & dates
- Agilec Kitchener Office: Nov 11th – 15th, 2019
- Cambridge City Hall: Nov 14th – 22nd, 2019
- The Rainbow Centre – Wilfrid Laurier University: Nov 18th – 22nd, 2019
- Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex: Nov 25th – 29th, 2019
- Kitchener City Hall: Nov 25th – Dec 1st, 2019
- Waterloo Indigenous Student Centre – University of Waterloo: Dec 2nd – 6th, 2019
- Ken Seiling Waterloo Region Museum: Dec 13th – Dec 23rd, 2019
Have questions or need more information? Contact Erin at firstname.lastname@example.org